Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Vietnamese Style Curry Beef Stew

wow... so the entire month of June went by with zero update... oh well, i was barely home and traveling for work... the same scenario is actually going to happen again in July and August... but since i am cooking tonight, i might as well post what i am making...


*i did not take pictures of the leftover dumplings i made but they were exceptionally good!  i hope they will be this good every single time i made them :D  (yes... there are days i miss too...)

recipe again is from my mom (she got it from her friend I think) and of course I have to put my own spin to it... i sent her my "product" and she said the color is not vibrant enough... -.-|||  she said her friend gave her some indonesian curry that would make this dish scream red... oh well...

Ingredients & Direction:

1. Beef - 1 kilo (I prefer skirt steak but you can use brisket as well, ask the butcher trim and butterfly the skirt steak for added tenderness)
2. Boil some water in a pot, add beef when water is boiling and let soak for 3-5 minutes (you can do it in batches if your pot is not large enough)
3. Run the beef under cold water and drain.
4. In a clean bag (e.g. produce / pastic / zip lock), add 2 tbsp curry powder, 1 tbsp red chili powder, sugar, salt, minced garlic (6-8 cloves), minced shallots (3-4 heads) (you can use onion instead if you don't have shallots), chopped lemongrass (1 stalk). 
5. Put #3 in #4 and mix.  Let it rest for at least 3 hours.  (I left mine overnight in the fridge.)
***
6. In a wok or large pan, heat a generous amount of oil, stir in #5 and brown the meat.  Add 2-3 large bay leaves (I added mine in #4).
7. Add water (just enough to cover all the meat so they can be evenly cooked, you can add more later) and bring to a boil.  Turn down to low / medium heat and simmer for 1.5 hours.
8. Add chopped carrots (3-4 stalks), onions (1 large).  (I actually prefer to just add potatoes, since I already added onions in #4 and I don't usually stock up on carrots)
9. (optional) Stir in 1/2 cup of milk and turn off heat.
***
10.  (optional) Season with spiced salt and lemon at the table.  (I added cilantro instead.)

P.S. will post picture later... the beef is still marinating in the fridge at the moment... (potatoes were spoiled... had to throw them out so instead I chopped up 4 small onions...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...