Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Bao

 Instead of making my usual weekday dinner - dumplings, I actually tried something new tonight... bao!  It wasn't as hard as I thought it was in the beginning but then I soon learn it's not an easy dish to perfect... and it took forever to cook (I need a bigger bamboo steamer!)  It takes 20 minutes when you steam the bao in the proper bamboo steamer... you can already tell how long it will take me to steam 12 with this tiny steamer that I have....



The filling was easy... (or so I thought)... it's my usual dumpling filling (pork and cilantro)... but what I did not forsee was that it didn't really go that well with the taste of the bun (since it was actually sweet)  Now that I know, I am filling it with barbecue pork next time... I can tell it will be a winner next time :)
 
I guess I am so used to making my own dumpling dough this was almost a no brainer...  just follow the instruction on the packet... the wrapping part wasn't that hard either, surprisingly... I credit that to my unusual big hands and the countless dumplings I have made to date... yet, next time, I am going to roll the dough thicker since the dough felt a bit thin this time.
    

 
 Not the prettiest bao (like the picture on the packet) but I thought it's still pretty good for my first time...


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...