Friday, December 28, 2012

Sing Heung Yuen 勝香園

Originally planned for Tex-Mex but ended up trying the famous tomato-based macaroni with beef and a fried egg at Sing Heung Yuen (勝香園).  The place is located in NoHo in an alley.  It's diagonally across from "Homeless" and another famous diner Kau Kee Restaurant (九記牛腩).  I love dai pai dong (大排檔) so this is exactly my kind of food.  However, if you only eat at Michelin's, this is not for you.

Untitled
Sing Heung Yuen
Untitled
Right across from another famous eatery - Kau Kee (closed for winter solstice)
Untitled
killing time while waiting for my table
on an entirely first "sit" first serve basis
Untitled
the old-fashion drink corner
My friend and I each ordered a tomato, beef and egg with macaroni (茄牛蛋通) and salty seven-up with lemon (鹹檸七), and a lemon honey baguette (檸蜜脆脆) to share.


Untitled

The tomato based is the star of the dish.  It's created from canned tomatoes - not sure if they were San Marzano's but the tomato flavor is very good.  (Thanks to Mario Batali, I know canned tomato is better than fresh tomato if it's done right!)  The beef is tenderized and my egg was slightly overcooked - but for HKD23 a bowl, you can't expect too much and the overall taste is good.  I think I am going to try this at home with Mario's basic tomato sauce.


Untitled
tomato, beef and egg with macaroni

I haven't had a salty seven-up with lemon in years so it was refreshing.  The taste is authentic.  loved it!  It was actually a lot of seven-up!  My friend and I could probably shared a bottle.


Untitled
didn't took a picture of my drink alone but you can see it clearly on this picture too

The lemon honey baguette is excellent as well.  The baguette is crispy but not burned.  Most diners I've been normally serve condensed milk butter baguette so to me, lemon honey on a baguette is new to me and I love the flavor combination.  The lemon is refreshing and light compared to the condensed milk for sure!


Untitled
close-up on the lemon honey baguette - delicious!
Overall, a very positive experience.  The line is long and the place is crowded.  You will be rubbing shoulders with your neighbors but that's part of the dai pai dong experience.  Lastly, for HKD43 per person, you can't beat it!  So if you are in the area and love dai pai dong, give it a try~


Untitled
there are at least 3 to 4 groups of people in that table
Untitled
the people standing behind are waiting anxiously for their turn
Tip:  you may want to wait at separate tables to maximize efficiency.

FTC disclaimer:  I am not affiliated and I paid for my own food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...