Tuesday, March 5, 2013

New Chongqing Restaurant (新重慶酒樓)

This was originally intended to be a lighthearted post on a Sichuan hot pot restaurant in Zhuhai, China that my friend and I loved.  However, as I was writing this post, I am not sure if I am recommending or warning my readers on restaurants in China.  Don't get me wrong, the food tastes good, it is cheap and it looks clean, but I can never be sure when I eat in China, especially these days.

Untitled
Yuanyang Guo (鴛鴦鍋)The left side is not spicy and the right side is super spicy.
Rule of thumb: meat is better spicy and veggies is better non-spicy.
The authentic dipping sauce for this type of hot pot is sesame oil + minced garlic + hoisin sauce + cilantro.

Untitled
Beef Artery (黃喉)
Taste good on the spicy side.  Crunchy and doesn't have much taste on it's own.
Untitled
Sliced Beef (鮮牛)
Taste good on either side.
Untitled
Lunch Meat (午餐肉)
Taste better on the spicy side. 
Untitled
Lotus Root (蓮藕)
Taste better on the non-spicy side.
Untitled
Black Fungus 黑木耳
I like this better spicy actually.
Untitled
Pig's blood (豬紅)
Spicy for sure!
Untitled
Radish (白蘿蔔)
Non-spicy.
Untitled
Mixed vegetables (雜菜)
Non-spicy.
I used to love going to China to eat, shop, getting pampered, etc.  I used to be their #1 fan among my friends.  Not anymore!

In addition to the rising Chinese Yuan (RMB) and declined level of service, food safety has become a huge and real concern.  I am sure you have heard about the Chinese baby formula scandal, the Mengniu (蒙牛) scandal, the cooking oil (地構油) scandal, etc. If you haven't, Google it... the news is all over the Internet.  

In the past, I used to cross the border four times a week!  Gone are the days when I enjoy going to China.  Honestly, I am very sad about this.

"You can charge me, but please don't poison me."  One of my friend's famous lines when we talked about China recently.

I really don't get it?  Since when did the morals of the Chinese people sink to this disgusting level?  I sincerely wish that the Chinese government will put an iron fist on food safety and enforces the international standards on the F&B industry.  Yet, I am weary.  A friend said I worry too much, another friend is shocked that I am no longer a fan.

Anyway, if the standard doesn't improve, I am not sure if I would ever eat in China as much as I used to anymore.  And I pray day and night that Hong Kong and Macau will hold the fort on food safety and customer service.  Please be the role model to our mainland brethren.

For the brave souls that wants to try this restaurant.  (For the record, I have not gotten sick from eating here so I guess it must be safe enough...)

新重慶酒樓
香洲區僑光路168號米蘭麗都百貨2樓東區
0756-8886342

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated and I paid for my own meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...