Sunday, August 18, 2013

Chasing Sakura - Japan (22) - Akame Shijuhachi Taki (赤目四十八淹)

Finally, this is the last post of this series and this was only a 9-day trip!  I have about 8 hours before I have to leave for the Kansai airport and decided to maximize the value of my Kintetsu pass and went to Akame Shijuhachi Taki (赤目四十八淹, "Akame Waterfalls").  The train tickets cost JPY1,960 if bought separate and the Kintetsu Pass is only JPY3,800!  Not to mention the train ride from Nagoya to Osaka alone was already JPY4,150!  This waterfalls is not as popular as some other other tourist attractions in the area but for some reason I just want to go there.

Untitled

The journey from Osaka-Namba station takes approximately 1.5 hours by Kintetsu.  After arriving at the Akameguchi Station, you have the option to take the shuttle bus from the station to the entrance to the waterfalls.  (Highly recommended - it's a long walk!)  The bus fare is included in your Kintetsu pass, otherwise, it will cost you JPY340 one way.


Untitled
Untitled
the latest bus schedule from akameguchi to akametaki

You will still have to walk another 8-10 minutes from the bus stop to the entrance of the waterfall.  Although shijuhachi means "48" in Japanese, it doesn't really mean that there are 48 falls here.  It just means there are "a lot" of waterfalls...


Untitled
Remember to use the bathroom before starting the trail!
Untitled
There is an amphibian museum inside the building which I skipped.
I am not a big fan of amphibians... 
Untitled
It will take you approximately 2 hours to complete the trail.
I find it a very relaxing and enjoyable walk.
Untitled

The five main waterfalls (赤目五滝) are as follows:


akame076
Fudō Falls (不動滝)
Untitled
Senju Falls (千手滝)
akame025
Nunobiki Falls (布曳滝)
akame051
Ninai Falls (荷担滝)
akame065
Biwa Falls (琵琶滝)

Other falls that are not as famous but just as beautiful:

akame001
akame007
Untitled
P1380494-hdr
Untitled
akame040
akame044

Puppies enjoy this place just as much as we do~


Untitled
Untitled
love the smile of the puppy in the back
Look how happy they are!
what a cute corgi
awwww.....

In addition to the waterfalls, the forest, ravine, and everything else will keep your eyes (and camera) busy!  I even saw a couple who brought their own picnic with their very own camping tea set!  What an amazing idea!  I wish I asked the couple where they bought the tea set.  I need it!!!


Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Now that I have exercised, it's time for my mid-morning snack :)  I love oden and I heard the Ise gyu soup is famous here so I have to try.  They have tables facing at the Senju Falls.  The food was simple but very delicious!


Untitled
lunch with a view
Untitled
my favorite things in an oden~~~
Untitled
Untitled
Always try the original flavor first!
Untitled
The Ise beef is very chewy and flavorful.
Different from the Hida beef as this is leaner.
I love them all.
Untitled
The mochi is so chewy and so good!

Although I wasn't too hungry, I decided to eat a proper lunch before leaving Akame.  I picked a local soba house and ordered one of my favorite - Grated Yam Soba with Raw Egg (とろろ蕎麦).

Untitled
one of my favorites
とろろ蕎麦
Grated Yam Soba with Raw Egg


If I had more time, I would have gone to the Iga-Ryu Ninja Mansion too.  Since I ran out of time, I will save it for next time.  On my way back to Osaka, I had to change train at Yamato-Yagi (大和八木).  I stopped by the convenient store and picked up some more snacks.  I also finished my sakura mochi (櫻餅) I got from Kyoto.


P1380914
Lunch with a view :)
P1380936
Untitled
i am really starting to like this!
Untitled
P1380939
P1380941
Untitled

We didn't have any time left for dinner, so we just grabbed random stuff at the airport's Seven-Eleven.  Seven-Eleven is always a life-saver!  The rice balls we got were really good actually!!!

Untitled
IMG_1139
The trick to bring oden past the security checkpoint is to make sure you don't get any soup.
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
bought on flight - very tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...