Sunday, September 1, 2013

36 Hours in Beijing

If you only have 1.5 days in Beijing, where would you go?  What would you do?  It was a tough choice since Beijing has so much to offer.  I have been to Beijing many years ago (when the sky is still blue) but the memory has faded.  I am so glad I get to visit this cultural city again after so many years~


Untitled
There is blue sky still in Beijing
but you will have to see it on a plane.


Originally, my first choice was the Summer Palace (頤和園) but the travel time takes one hour one way and I will need an entire day to explore so I decided I don't have enough time and dropped it.  In the end, we went to Donghuamen Night Market (東華門夜市), Wangfujing (王府井), Tiananmen (天安門), Temple of Heaven (天壇), Lama Temple (雍和宮), and Qianmen (前門大街) in the end.  I would say, it's a pretty good alternative compared to just the Summer Palace alone!


東華門 夜市I didn't see any of there "interesting" street food the other bloggers promised... :(  maybe because we only got there right around closing?  (the night market closes at 10pm)
Donghuamen Night Market (東華門夜市)

I didn't see any "interesting" snacks other travelers mentioned
maybe I was there too late?

by the way, the night market closes around 10:00 pm

Tons of these open bars on the main streets of Wangfujing.  Loved it!
Wangfujing (王府井)

The main street is now populated with this outdoor bar / cafe.
Hi Chairman Mao!
Tiananmen (天安門)

If you want to beat the crowd, come here late at night.
There were only a few people here at 11:30 pm.

There is no safer place in China than here...
The many uses of an umbrella.  Among which, view block is a primary use here.
Temple of Heaven (天壇)

I forgot where I heard this but you must come here in the morning
The earlier the better.  9:00 am is considered late.

Bring an umbrella and don't forget your sunblock.  It's very sunny out there.
Untitled
Lama Temple (雍和宮)

This used to be the court of Emperor Yongzheng (雍正) when he was a prince.
Untitled
Qianmen Street (前門大街)

One of the oldest commercial district in Beijing.
You can find some of the oldest and most renowned Chinese brands here.
(I cannot say the same thing on their service though...
these brands have all been nationalized...)

There are still SO SO SO many places I wanted to go but didn't have a chance to visit this time.  I guess if I really want to see all I want to see in Beijing, I will have to spend months and months there...

And then there is the food!  We didn't try the signature Beijing Duck this time as everyone was telling me it was not what it used to be...


Untitled
The famous Goubuli buns
大名 鼎鼎的“狗不理
Untitled
The questionable sushi at a roadside hawker stall...
tastes good, cheap, and I didn't get a stomach flu
路邊灘的壽司
@wuyutai lama temple branch yummy!
The unexpectedly delicious ice cream from Wuyutai Tea Shop
Voted as a favorite by my mom
好好味的“吳裕泰”軟雪糕
Untitled
The popular Donglaishun
東來順
The yummy and delicious Beijing white peaches!!! The flat ones are really yummy and they were only RMB0.50 each!  We only bought 2 and regret deeply!
The you-cannot-miss Beijing peaches
北京水蜜桃

We spent the first night at Hilton Beijing Wangfujing and the second night at Fly by Knight Courtyard Hostel.  Both are very nice place to stay!


Untitled
Hilton Beijing Wangfujing
Untitled
Fly by Knight Courtyard Hostel

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...