Thursday, January 16, 2014

Candied Roselle (洛神花蜜餞)

Before the roselle season ended, I bought some more roselle so I can tried this candied roselle recipe.  It was extremely easy to make and mine turned out to be a success in my first attempt!  I can't wait to make them again next year when they are in season again.

P1490487

The elderly lady who sold me my roselle told me I could make the tea with the seeds and the flesh into candied roselle.  This way, nothing goes to waste!!!  Compared to HKD50 per pound when I first bought them from the Island East Market, these were HKD20 for two pounds!!!  (and I bought them in Central...)

IMG_6124

OMG, I know farmers markets are generally a rip off but the disparity for this is just too much... To add insult to injury, my mom told me roselle is just a fancy name for a cheap plant that would grow on any soil... In fact, she told me the Burmese dish - chin-mon-yuet - I love is made from the roselle leaves... Now it made perfect sense that I would love the tea and candied fruit made from this plant...

Ingredients

Roselle
Lemon
Sugar
An air-tight container, sterilized

IMG_6112

Directions
  1. Separate the seed from the flesh. 
  2. Boil a pot water and prepare a pot of ice cold water.
  3. Blanch the roselle flesh in the boiling water for 30 seconds and immediately submerge them in the ice cold water.
  4. Drain the roselle and put them in a sterilized container.
  5. Add the lemon juice and mix well.
  6. Add the sugar and mix well.
  7. Add more sugar until it covers the roselle in the container.  (You don't need to fill the entire container!)
  8. Seal the container and let it rest in room temperature for 3 days.  (I had a flight to catch so I only left it out for 12 hours...)
  9. Refrigerate for 1week and it's ready to be served.  (I was gone for 2 weeks so it aged in my fridge for the entire time.)
  10. It's a perfect appetizer or after-meal snacks!
IMG_6116
The lemon really added zest to the candied roselle
The roselle are naturally sour so don't be afraid to pour sugar over them!
IMG_6504
My first attempt turned out very well.
The roselle is crunch and sweet.
I could taste the lemon which added another layer of flavor
and made them very refreshing.

Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...